
Attending the Naval Academy is a tremendous honor and privilege. Over the next 4 years, in addition to learning how to become a Naval officer, he will represent Navy on the football field. We had hoped and prayed over the years that Cameron would be able to turn his football skills into a free college education - now I can truly say that I should be careful what I wish for! Never in my wildest dreams did I think that he would be so far away from home. Being SEC fans, we of course had dreams of him playing somewhere nearby, so that the entire family could go and watch him play. But Navy plays all over the U.S. (including Hawaii this year!) so the possibility of everyone being able to attend very frequently is quite small. We will have to content ourselves with watching him on TV, and of course we will now become big SKYPE fans. (does anyone know if a webcam adds 10 pounds like a regular camera - I certainly hope not!)


We are so proud of Cameron and the incredible person he has become. He loves the Lord, he loves his family, and he loves his country and would fight for all 3 at the drop of a hat. He has a smile that lights up a room. The pixies will miss their wrestling buddy, as will I, because these past 5 years when he has had no one else to wrestle with he has put me in many a choke-hold! Cameron is the epitome of a big ol' teddy bear - soft heart on the inside of a football-player body. I will miss his smelly feet and the clothes lying all around his room and the empty coke cans all over the den. I will miss him calling me at work to ask me to drop something he forgot off at school - and he forgot ALOT of stuff. I will miss sitting up late at night waiting for him to come home, and I will miss all of our little road trips together because we always have such fun singing and laughing and talking. I will even miss him asking for money all the time! (well, maybe not so much)
So it is time for all of us to have a new beginning - Cameron at Navy and me here trying to adjust to my new role as mom from afar. There is no possible way to put into words how much we love him and how proud we all are of him. He will be missed each day, and prayed for each day. We know that Cameron is going to do amazing things in his life and he is going to have an impact on so many new friends and acquaintances along the way. Godspeed buddy - show 'em who and what you are and we will keep the home fires burning.
With much love and admiration,
Mom







2 comments:
First of all, congratulations on a fine young man! I'm sure he is well on his way to being a man...and these years will serve him well. I can only begin to imagine all that you are experiencing and feeling, but I pray God will protect him and allow you to see him as often as possible!
Take care and enjoy the trip.
suzanne
Lana,
There's a pain in my heart, tears in my eyes and a big ole lump in my throat thinking about and imagining all the emotions you have and will experience during the next days, weeks and months. I pray you know how much you and your beautiful family are loved and how very closly we keep each of you in our daily thoughts, hearts and prayers...especially Cameron. And of course, we'll be adding Navy to one of the teams we watch around here on college football Saturday's! Grace and peace!
Post a Comment